Sunday, January 6, 2013

December 25, 2012 Happy Curtismas!

Still can't upload any pictures to this blog.  I think those in charge at blogger.com decided that I was posting too many crazy photos and pulled the plug.  Funny, though, you'd think they would have prevented me from posting all my written nonsense as well.

Today was Curtismas.  It's Curtis' birthday and over the years I've become weary of him having to share it with the guy who gets all the attention.  I've changed the name of the holiday and am hoping it catches on.  So far I've had very little luck with that, but there is always next year.

Brother is in town, as you know, and Momma's under the weather, that means I am doing all the cooking for the family for the holidays.

For your consideration:

Baking: oatmeal/raisin cookies, decorated sugar cookies, fudge, pretzel Rolo treats, Chex mix, almond bark pretzels, toffee, and peanut blossom cookies;

Saturday:  pulled pork sandwiches, apple fluff salad, chips

Sunday: homemade chicken and noodles and Baby brought the potatoes (can't have chicken and noodles without the potatoes)

Monday:  In memory of my wonderful step mother, I made her spaghetti sauce along with meatballs and ribs.  And spaghetti, salad and bread. 

Today - Curtismas:  turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, Brookville corn, stuffing, rolls, pecan pie, pumpkin pie were all toted from my house to Momma's.  My 2 Crockpots, Momma's Crockpot and my big roaster oven were all in use!  Baby brought the ham which completed the feast.

Funny story about the pumpkin pie.  I hate pumpkin pie.  That's the truth but that's not what's funny. 

I baked both pies on Curtismas Eve and was well on my way to being too pooped to pop.  I had never made a pumpkin pie before so I followed the recipe on the can and got down to business.

When it came out of the oven it looked like a pumpkin pie should look.  So, success!  Right?

Wrong.

Curtis told me later that it was awful.

I forgot to put in the sugar.

Oops.

Everyone in the family knew the pie was inedible, but no one wanted to tell me.  

Lesson learned:  always remember to add the sugar.  In life and in pies.