Friday, January 4, 2013

December 14-18, 2012 Wamego City Hospital

Don't judge me.  Just don't.  Mistakes were made.  I made them.  Every thing's fine now. 

On Friday, December 14, Momma called me first thing in the morning.  I had not yet left for work so that was good.  She said that she didn't feel well and thought she was too weak to drive herself to the doctor and would I take her.  It's important to note that in Wamego, you can CRAWL to any point in town so saying that you are too weak to drive somewhere is either an exaggeration or a gigantic red flag.

Yes.  My first reaction was exaggeration.  This was also my first mistake.  Actually, my only mistake, but it was a really big one.

So, I picked Momma up and took her to the doctor.  The doctor took a few moments, literally, diagnosed her with pneumonia and admitted her to Wamego City Hospital.

Wasn't my face red when she turned out to be very sick and very weak?

For 3 days, Baby and I took turns managing Momma at the hospital, cleaning Mom's house and getting it ready for Christmas.

Side note:  if you are every just sort of sick and need medical care but not in a life threatening situation, ask to be admitted to Wamego City Hospital.  There were 3 patients, 3 RNs, various nurse's aides and support people.  It was awesome!  Momma got great care.  Unfortunately, she also got a bowl of beef stew, which she hates. 

On Tuesday, Momma was was dismissed, feeling much better.  Baby and I (and Emily, the Wonder Nurse) took turns staying with Momma at night. 

Oh, and in the midst of all this, I got bronchitis and was coughing like a fool.  There were times when Momma was in the hospital that the nurses weren't sure which one of us was the patient!

Bottom line, no one saw Momma from the time I dropped her off at home after the Dodge City trip until I took her to the doctor.  Had someone seen her, she would have been hauled to the doctor much, much sooner.  The lesson has been learned.